Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu

How to apply

Study Abroad (JYA)


Residences - study abroad 500x280

The University knows that where you live is very important to you. You will want to settle quickly and live in a secure, well-located, sociable and conducive study environment.

University residences

The advantages of housing at Cardiff University include:

  • Your own study bedroom
    You will have your own study bedroom. Cardiff University does not have shared rooms or dormitories.
  • An immersive experience
    Many UK universities house all study abroad students together. At Cardiff University you will be integrated with UK, European and international students.
  • Close to campus
    Residences are located around the campus area, within walking distance to the University and local shops.
  • Safe and supportive
    Each University residence has a network of staff, including student wardens and security staff that can provide 24 hour assistance. Only students, guests of students, and staff are allowed on University residences sites.
  • High-speed internet
    All University Halls of Residence are connected to the University’s network and high-speed internet. This makes it easy to work and stay in touch with friends and family back home.

What does University accommodation provide?

You will have your own bedroom. Each room has a bed, desk, chair, wardrobe and storage. You won’t need to buy additional furniture.

You will also have access to a shared kitchen/dining room. This area includes a cooker, refrigerator, sink, table and chairs.

University accommodation is generally self-catered (mealplans are not offered). A shared kitchen is fun, as it provides a great opportunity to mix and cook with other students. There is also lots of cheap dining out around campus, in addition to cafés located in every major University building.

How much does it cost?

University accommodation is not included in the cost of tuition. It is however very good value as it includes water, electricity, security and furniture. Everything is included in one price so it helps you more easily budget.

For the 2015/16 year, self-catering accommodation averaged £106 a week, which includes rent and bills. Learn more about living expenses.

How do I reserve accommodation?

After you apply, the Study Abroad Office will send you more information about University residences. If you would like to find out more about the accommodation options the University offers, please click here.

How do I contact the Residences team?

Call +44 (0) 2920 874849 or email


Study abroad students are guaranteed a single-occupancy place in University residences for the full duration of your studies. You will be sent more information about reserving accommodation after you apply.

Study Abroad (JYA)